Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I'm baaa - aaack

Just got back from the first holiday since THE EVENT, you know the one...

Shuswap Lake (Blind Bay / Eagle Bay area) was great for us, the smoke cleared up as if by magic. The rain came in just before us to clear things up and then it got nice for a few days anyway. Went with mom, dad, Wendy, Dave, Sadie, and my beautiful peeps of course, Bri and Hana. Food was great, company was great, I got to do stuff and be around people so that the constant topic of contemplation was pushed aside for a while. I still had moments where I was trying to figure out what was behind the odd stuff I would feel, but distraction is a good thing.

I went water skiing - one flip - but got up nevertheless. Yeah, I did. Dropped a ski too and got in some turns. I really did and had a great time doing it. In the back of my mind was the imagined voice of Sangye (I've never heard her talk, but have seen her words of wisdom quite a bit over the last couple of months) telling me about my ligaments and joints and how prednisone messes them up. I was imagining a Monty Python moment where both my arms get pulled out of their sockets by the boat as I say "GO". "Oh, I'm alright, it's just a flesh wound." BUT that didn't happen and unfortunately for you, my arms and the middleman between my crazy thoughts and the keyboard, are still attached.

I think the most dangerous thing I did was to go to the outdoor water slides with the families and take Hana down the kiddie water slide into the kiddie pool. Healthy people are squinting their eyes right now, trying to figure out what the heck I'm talking about, but all of us immunosurpressed Weggies are saying ... 'ahhhh'. Swimming pools with a number of children in them are a very creepy place indeed.

The calm before the storm.
Hana and me on the boat before the big storm (after water skiing).
An hour later the scene was quite different - not in a good way.
Many other exciting things happened while we were there, a golf game (9 hole) with Bri and Dave of all people. Yes, Dave. Getting caught in a North Atlantic storm in our rented speed boat. I had no idea that a lake can create such huuuuuuge waves. I have to say that my little girl was awesome and behaved like I couldn't have hoped for or predicted. That was an expensive day as Brian lost his prescription sunglasses during that marine experience. Watching the salmon run was mind blowing - what a life. We have nothing to complain about when you compare yourself to that crazy salmon. The Enchanted Forest was great because it had witches, lots and lots of witches. Boccie, Frisbee, a lot of rock skipping, and of course tons of great food - which made the preddi in me very happy.

Needless to say, my plans of playing with the book idea during holidays didn't happen, but I will be putting some thought into it in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment