Thursday, May 24, 2012

On a more positive note

OK, so I had a little cyber freak out on my last post. I am a little embarrassed but I stand by my opinion. I might have presented it a little better but it still makes me angry.

Now to change the mood a little.

I just saw my super rheumy, Dr. Yacyshyn and guess what.... the first Vasculitis Clinic in Western Canada is up and running. She did it!!!! So first Monday of each month at the University of Alberta there is a Vasculitis Clinic. If you want to go, you need a referral from your GP and a transfer of records from your rheumatologist or medical quarterback for your disease (nephrologist, respirologist, neurologist.... you get the jist). This is so cool and such a huge difference from the void two years ago when I got diagnosed.

As for me. On paper I look 'beautiful' according to Dr. Y. And I do. My liver function is elevated but nothing to freak out about, but other than that I look like a rock star (actually with the elevated liver functions I probably look more like a rock star.) The problems I'm dealing with now are drug related. Weaning off the stupid pred is so much harder and so much more than I ever imagined.  It's done a number on my brain as well because I ASSUMED that as you get closer to normal functioning and closer to remission things should get better not worse. Trying to get off the pred makes things worse. But like everything else in life, just gotta bite the bullet and put my big girl panties on and suck it up. After a quick calculation today I figured that if things go smooth and there are no complications or issues I can be off the pred by March 2013. That'll be right after our next Pajama Day....

On another unrelated note, Dr. Yacyshyn gave me a tip for a great pediatric vasculitis doctor in Eastern Canada for those of you who have been reading this blog and are the parents of kids with Wegener's. Her name is Dr. Suzanne Benseler and she comes highly recommended by my super doc.

1 comment:

  1. Pleased to have found your personal blog and have added you to the list of blogs about autoimmune disease. As it is an alphabetical list you are last (so far)

    ReplyDelete